Naïve’s Ballad to Common Sense

“Once upon a time”
Was a way that I used to think
Living life in a fantasy
Something close to a dream
In my world I chose
Been chosen
Where everything was under my control
Where I kicked out the stupid ones
And let a few in
To see what I really was about

Where do I start, where do I begin
Going from a terrible hot to
A cold wind
And all my thoughts
Where will they be sent

During an interval where
I didn’t care what went on around me
And why I didn’t
Has yet to be seen
I guess I was too busy trying
To change others to kinder hearts
From an older mean

Where I messed up
Where my bad thoughts started to think
On their own
Suddenly captivated by my own
Narrow mind
Been lost and not found
Still out there
Finding out that everyone
Has a missing link
Trying to be that for someone else
Or to show what them
What was missing
Was a bad choice
And where I was making sense to myself –
The only thing they heard from me
Was a bunch of echoing noise

Why was I trying to mold an inanimate soul
And to make matters worse
The problems were plenty
Trying to change something in someone
When I should have been
Doing the same damn thing for me
First
I guess I can say that
My heart and emotions were in control
Sort of
Whereas my insatiable senses
Were now viewed as
Not sensible and out of place
Especially when everything
Was supposed to be great
I was left alone looking at reality
Face to face

It was so much easier to hide
In the dark
Not to face the morning light
Yet I have the opportunity
To get things done
Make things right
I’ve had the time by myself
All alone
No one else
To think about things
What I want
To do & say
And if I were to turn around
Right now
To my own shadow monsters
I would have to pay

I see it’s so easy to live for someone else
Regardless, you still have to deal
With your future
And deal with their past
As well as yours
In this world
You deal with time
And the last time I checked
It's going really fast

So
I got rid of some old items
Some real
Some fake
That was reminiscent of a distinct fallacy
That was there
So now
Finally
I can fulfill my time
My years
My hopes
Along with some smiles & tears
To their capacity
On my own terms

And most of all
I’ve learned the hard way
That some things were not meant to fit
And sometimes you have to say the words
Farewell
Goodbye
But it’s better to make a mistake
And then move on knowing better the next time around
Then being kept from thinking about soaring
And afterwards trying to fly

Comments

Popular Posts